Detail from Letter, "Cosimo M.",
Italian, Rome, 22 June 1537.
The origins of this collection are unclear. Many of the objects were gifts to MU Libraries. Another group of materials came from the Antiquarian Library of Mark A. Slotkin and the Biblical Library of Stanley A. Slotkin.
The collection contains letters and early printed book leaves excised from their original bindings. Holdings span the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries.
The collection is not catalogued. The materials are available to all researchers during regular service hours. For more information about the use of the print collections, see Book Use Policies.
1. Letter, "Cosimo M.", Italian, Rome, 22 June 1537.
2. Letter, Vernet Horner, French, Sept. 30, 1836.
3. Land Grant on parchment, to Jonathan Bryan of St. Charles County, Missouri, signed by John Quincy Adams, 10 May 1825.
4. Land Grant on parchment, to William B. Burris of DeKalb County, Missouri, signed by Millard Fillmore, 1 Dec. 1851.
5. Bill, Act, and Amendment. S. 26 Senate of the United Stated on Land Claims in the State of Louisiana and Missouri Territory, Jan. 19, Mar. 10, Apr. 1, 1820.
6. The Spectator, no. 432 (London: July 16, 1712). ("Berry collection item" note attached)
7. "AP" in English Dictionary.
8. Cicero. "De republica", bk.3, ch. 12. Text starts: "quo scelere impulsus mare haberet infestum uno myoparone," cols. 569-572.
9. King Charles IX of France (1550-1574), engraved portrait after De L'Armessin, sculp.
10.Page 129-130 from Hypnerotomachia Poliphili, published by Aldus in 1499 in Venice.
11. Page from a 16th c. German Bible, Book of John, ch. 8, woodcut illustration.
12. Leaf from the 1st edition of the King James Bible, London, 1611.
13. Leaf from the Nuremberg Chronicle, German, woodcut view of city, 1493.
14. Leaf from the New Testament. Recto: 2nd Epistle of Saint Peter, ch.2-3. Verso: 1st Epistle of St. John, ch. 1 and the beginning of ch. 2 ends with "caritas Dei perfecta". Gothic type on paper with polychrome initials (one historiated with image of a saint) and floral border (pink, blue, green, purple, red, gold)
15. Page from Apocalypse, Gothic type on paper with rubricated running titles
Sebastian Münster, Beschreibung aller Länder (Basel, 1598)
- woodcut illustrations described by subject in parentheses, 35 items
a. "Von Schottlandt: Das Ander Buch" (ducks born from trees), p. 55-56.
Third Book: "Von dem Leutschen Lande: Das Dritte Buch"
b. (boar, goats), p. 509-10.
c. (goat, hedgehog, 4 birds), p. 511-12.
d. (list of saints and counts, rats), p. 605-06.
e. "Sebastian Munster" in subtitle, p. 641-42 (slug or eel?).
f. (moose, bees), p. 647-48.
g. (siege, prayers, demons), p. 651-52
h. (family tree, deer/boar in forest, pine tree), p. 851-52 (misnumbered?).
Fourth Book: "Van den Ditnächtigen Landern: Das Vierdte Buch"
i. "Nordwegien cap. 21" (sea monster with man in teeth), p. 693-94.
j. "Schweden cap. 25" (stag and doe), 697-98.
k. "Grunlande cap. 37" (two-page spread with sea monsters and ships, pp. 708-709), key to letters on pp. 707 and 710.
l. "Von dem Ungerlandt: Das Vierdte Buch" (cranes, prayer), p. 713-14.
m. "Von dem Polandt: Das Vierdte Buch" (three men, monster attacking flock), p. 731-32.
n. "Von der Littaw: Das Vierdte Buch" (apiary), p. 751-52.
o. "Von den Doscowntern: Das Vierdte Buch" (bees, bear, forest scene), p. 755-56. *polychrome wash
Fifth Book: "Von den Landern Asie: Das Fünffte Buch"
p. "Albania" (wheat harvest, stag), p. 827-28.
q. "Antiochia" (snail), p. 843-44.
r. "Arabia" (phoenix), p. 849-50.
s. "Mecha" (unicorn), p. 851-52.
t. (hyrcania), p. 857-58.
u. (parthia), p. 859-60.
v. (elephants), p. 877-78.
w. (dragon, serpents, scorpions), p. 879-80.
x. (sea-horse, 2-3-headed serpents), p. 883-84.
y. ("Other peoples," birds), p. 889-90. *polychrome wash
z. (elephant, rhinoceros), p. 893-94.
aa. "Califuth" (4 birds), 897-98.
bb. (beaver, demon), p. 903-04.
Sixth Book: "Von den Landen Africe: Das Sechste Buch"
cc. (ground animals, lion) p. 919-920. *polychrome wash
dd. (bust, basilisk), p. 925-26.
ee. (fountains, wells, crocodile), p. 941-42.
ff. (stork, black man, elephant), p. 949-50. *polychrome wash
gg. "Libya cap. 27" (griffin, ostrich with key), p. 951-52.
hh. Map of "Eyfalia," (whale with sailor in mouth)
ii. (Griffin, horse) *polychrome wash
Note: Ellis Library has an original 1550 copy of Sebastian Münster's Cosmographica (Latin version of Beschreibung aller Länder): Rare Folio G 113 .M7 1550. For an extant 1598 edition of Beschreibung aller Länder, only the Niedersachsische Staats-und University is shown on the WorldCat database.
23 items from the former Antiquarian Library of Mark A. Slotkin and the Biblical Library of Stanley S. Slotkin. (Included with each leaf are the mounts that came with the collection and which contain facsimiles of the original title pages and some pertinent information).
From the Antiquarian Library of Mark A. Slotkin:
1. Old Testament leaf in Hebrew, Greek, Chaldaicae with Latin, ca. 1750.
2. Reverend Doctor Scoti, Philosophia Scholae Scotisticae (printed by Matthiae Wolff, 1735), p. 11-12.
3. Table of Public and Private Statues from the Reign of King George II to 1734, p. 55-56.
4. Ludovici M. Sinistrari, Practica Criminalis Illustrata (Rome, 1693), p. 85-86.
5. Justus Lipsius, Opera Omnia, "De Militia Romana Lib. I" (1637), p. 13-14.
6. R. P. F. Natali Alexandro, Theologica Dogmatica et Moralis (Paris, 1703), p. 101-2.
7. Latin Bible, Genesis ch. 31 (Antwerp, 1534).
8. Edward Earl of Clarendon, History of the Rebellion and Civil War in England (Oxford, 1707), p. 11-12.
9. Johannis Buxtorfi, Tiberius, sive Commentarius Masorethicus Triplex (Basel, 1665), p. 41-42.
10. Massorah Rabbinical Bible, 1610.
11. C. Plini, Secundi Naturalis Historiae Mundi, "Liber Primus," preface (1563).
12. Antiphonale Cisterciense, "In Epiphania Domini," (Paris, 1690), p. 123-24.
13. Antiphonarium Sagiense, "In Festo SS. Gervasii and Protasii
Mart," (Paris, 1635), p. 31-32.
From the Biblical/Medical Library of Stanley S. Slotkin:
14. Theatricum Botanicum: Theatre of Plants, "Of Mustard," ch. 9 (London, 1597), p. 189-90.
15. Catholic Missal ? (London, 1523), CXLIV. In red and black ink.
16. Biblia Sacra, Numbers ch. 34-36 (London, 1593), p. 137-38.
17. Matthaeo Polo, Synopsis Criticorum Aliorum, "Commentatorum in Acta Apost. cap. 8-9", cols. 1385-88.
18. Galen, Ascripti Libri qui Variam Artis Medicae, "De Hippoc. et Plat." (Basel, 1515), p. 267-68.
19. Fredrick Hoffman (1660-1743), Medicinae Rationalis Systematicae, "De Athletis" (Geneva, 1738), p. 369-70.
20. Alessandro Pascoli, Il Corpo-umano o Breve Storia, Tab. XXXIII (Various positions of baby in womb and gynecological instruments), (Perugino, 1712).
21. Simonis Ulrici, Opera Omnia, "Disputato Secunda de Merito Justi," (Leipzig and Frankfurt, 1678), p. 169-70.
22. Pope Benedict XIV, Opera Omnia, "Disstertatio de Capacitate canon, Regularium ad Beneficia," (1767), p. 37-38.
23. Joanne Baptista Gonet, Clypeus Theologiae Thomasticae, "Jacobi
Cuiacii," (Antwerp, 1794), cols. 1249-52.