Create Customized Email Alerts in MERLINExamples of search types:
- You have a favorite novelist and you want to be notified whenever MERLIN gets a book written by him or her.
- You're doing a long-term project on a topic and you want to be notified when MERLIN gets any new book on that topic.
- You want to be notified whenever a new DVD about Mexico comes in.
- Enter the MERLIN Catalog and select the My Library Account tab.
- Log on with your pawprint.
- Select the Search Catalog button.
- Search the MERLIN Catalog to produce this particular class or type of book - an author search, an advanced keyword search, etc.
- Note that search limits (such as to the MU campus or to a particular language) will not function for the alert.
- Search for videos: add the keyword "videorecording" to your search.
- Search for sound CD's: add the keyword "sound recording" to your search.
- Look for the button on the right hand side of your results screen that says "Save Search?" Click on it.
- Toward the top of your screen, next to the red "Log Out" button, select the blue "Patron Record" button.
- Select the link to Preferred Searches (no blue button, just the underlined text).
- You will see your search. Check the check-box in the "Mark for Email" column next to the search.
- Log out of your library account.
- CLOSE all browser windows to completely to close your account.
- You will now be notified when books fitting the criteria of your search are entered in the MERLIN system
- Searches are run every 2 weeks, so you'll never get notices MORE often than that.
- If no new books matching your criteria are added to MERLIN in any two-week period, you will not receive an alert that time.
- You can sign up to get a weekly email of new books added to the Health Sciences Library