Introduction to MU Libraries' collectoins and services
Virtual Tour/Video Tour of Ellis Library
The virtual tour of Ellis Library includes floor plans, photos, and descriptions of service areas in the library. Students can follow a prescribed route or explore areas on their own.
The video tour of Ellis Library is composed of live-action videos and transcripts linked to clickable points on library floor plans. A video plays in the left frame when the user clicks the corresponding spot on the floor plan to the right. This modular format allows users to jump between areas of interest.
Quick Camtasia Tutorials
These point-of-need Camtasia screen-capture videos explain MU-specific tools and processes. Selected links to tutorials created by other libraries or vendors that are relevant to MU users are also provided. These tutorials are useful for both on and off campus users, can be linked to courses in Blackboard or from specific course Web pages.
- Find books about an author (MU Libraries, 2:09)
- Locate books by call number in Ellis Library (MU Libraries, 1:31)
- Renew your books online (MU Libraries, 1:03)
- Save MERLIN searches to re-run later (MU Libraries, 1:33)
- Request books from the Depository (books in storage) (MU Libraries, 1:30)
- Locate an online or print copy of an article for which you have a citation (MU Libraries, 4:07)
- Locate an online or print copy of an article you find in a library database (MU Libraries, 2:49)
- Set up Google Scholar to link to copies of articles (online or print) provided by MU (MU Libraries, 1:22)
Plagiarism TutorialThis plagiarism tutorial is designed to educate you about plagiarism and provide you with important skills and knowledge to avoid committing plagiarism.
These 1-2 page pdf instructional handouts cover research strategy tips, evaluation of information, tips on using Google and Google Scholar, etc. They are available for faculty or students to print, download, or link to from their Blackboard or Web pages.
- Choose a Research Topic
- 5 Steps to Better Library Research
- Navigating the Information-scape
- Constructing a Search Statement
- Research Strategy
- Anatomy of a Citation
- Understanding call numbers
- What's the Difference: Scholarly Journals, Trade Publications, & Popular magazines
- Writing An Annotated Bibliography
- Google Searching Tips
- Google Scholar
- Evaluation of Information Sources
How to write a research paper
- Concordia University has a step-by-step guide to writing a research paper.