Business and EconomyNicholas Rummell
Source List: Business and Economy
Chamber of Commerce, Columbia: 874-1132, 300 South Providence Road
- Contacts: Greg Steinhoff (President/CEO, Option Care, Chair of the Board of Directors, 2001-2002)
- Lynda Baumgartner (Chair-Elect)
- Al Plummer (Community Affairs Division Director)
- The Chamber is a nonprofit organization with 1,500+ members who are members of the Columbia business community. Can offer insight into small and big business of Columbia.
Shelter Mutual Insurance: 445-8441, 1817 Broadway Street
- Major insurance company in Columbia, also very big nationally.
MU School of Business: 882-6272 (Finance), 882-6556 (Management), 882-3282 (Marketing), 882-4463 (Accountancy)
- Contacts: Dr. Thomas Dougherty (Professor and Management Chair) 882-4412
- Dr. Steve Ferris (Professor and Finance Chair) 882-9905
- Dr. Lisa Scheer (Professor and Marketing Chair) 882-4829
- Dr. Earl Wilson (Professor and Accountancy Director) 882-3225
City of Columbia Economic Development: 442-8303, 300 South Providence Road
Associated Industries of Missouri: 634-2240 (phone), 634-4406 (fax), Jefferson City
- Contacts: Jim Kistler (Director of Industrial Relations)
- AIM is the self proclaimed â¿¿voice of over 1,500 small and large businesses throughout Missouri. They act as a sort of lobbyist, influencing legislation (they are based in the capital). AIM was also involved in a Supreme Court case in 1994 concerning Missouri's additional use tax, which imposes taxes to compensate for money lost between interstate commerce.
- AIM is also affiliated with Missouri Business United (MoBiz), a political action organization, dedicated to electing candidates to the House and Senate who want to make Missouri better for business.
- Contacts: Joe Driskill (Director)
- MoDED is great to get the stateâ¿¿s official position on economic issues, as well as official statistics on Missouriâ¿¿s revenues and general economic well-being.
- Contacts: Scott Lakin (Director)
- Randy McConnell (Public Information Officer) 751-1165
- MoDOI can help with issues concerning insurance, both business and governmental (which can both have large bearings on business and economy -- just take the World Trade Center disaster and the effects on the insurance industry, and therefore essential parts of Missouri's economy).
- Contacts: Carol Fischer (Director) 751-4450
- MoDOR can assist you with questions concerning taxation, as well as revenues collected.
- MoDLIR can help with issues concerning employee security, collective bargaining, business mediation and workers compensation. Also has info/links on workplace safety and health regulation.
- Local chapter of the national business watchdog group. Focuses on environmental and consumer protection. Decidedly left-wing, it also advocates for getting Big Business money out of politics.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce: (202) 659-6000
- South Central Regional Office: (405) 350-1075
- Contacts: Brett Hamm (Executive Director, South Central Office, located in Oklahoma)
- Contacts: Verna Learnard (Bureau of Economic Analysis) (202) 606-9900
- Good for checking on GDP, GNP and national assets. Can also check on economic statistics by state.
- BBB of East Missouri and Illinois: (314) 645-3300, St. Louis
- Check out the histories of companies and businesses, or follow up on binding arbitration in collective bargaining cases.
- Contacts: Mindi Boyagian (Director Media Communications) (202) 554-9000
- Brad Jones (local lobbyist) 634-7660
- Get the scoop about what the NFIB wants from statewide and national legislation concerning small and independent businesses. Considered the most influential national advocacy group for businesses, with over 600,000 members nationally.
- Midwest Region: Chicago
- Contacts: C. Stephen Baker (Director) (877) 382-4357
- The FTC deals with antitrust law, consumer protection and puts out monthly reports on economic issues facing the country.