Psychology 4830: Psychology of WomenInstructor: Etti Naveh-Benjamin
Some research tricks
- Clarify your questions and the types of information you need to answer them.
- Think about where types of information are typically published.
- Use a variety of words: movies, cinema, film, motion pictures.
- Use truncation to find word variants: psych* = psychology, psychiatry, psychoanalytic, etc.
- Use both broad and narrow terms: mental illness, schizophrenia, multiple personality.
- Put OR between words to search for more.
- Put AND between words to narrow your results.
- Search by film title AND another term (director, actor, date) for more precision.
Use these databases to identify articles on your topic:
- Academic Search Premier
- PsycINFO with PsycARTICLES
- Sociological Abstracts
- Social Services Abstracts
- Social Work Abstracts
- Alternative Press Index
- Lexis Nexis Academic (Choose News, then Book, movie....reviews.)
- Communication Abstracts
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- MLA International Bibliography
- FIAF:International Index to Film/TV Periodicals
- The MERLIN catalog shows materials in the MU Libraries.
- The MOBIUS catalog shows materials from Missouri academic libraries.
- WorldCat shows materials from many libraries worldwide.
- The MERLIN catalog shows the films in the MU Libraries. Use the advanced search and limit to
- Specific Library Location: MU Ellis Library
- Material Type: Proj Medium
- The Academic Support Center has a large collection of films that can be viewed for free at their location or checked out for a fee.
- WorldCat lists films held by many libraries. We can often get these through ILL@MU. (Note we can't request films through MOBIUS, but can often get the same films through WorldCat.)
- 9th Street Video has an excellent collection.
- The Columbia Public Library has a collection of films, mainly TV documentaries and specials.
- The Internet Archive has a large and diverse collection of video footage.
The Gale Virtual Reference Library provides specialized online encyclopedias for background information.
The literary filmography : 6,200 adaptations of books, short stories and other nondramatic works (PN1997.85 M87 2006)
The complete index to literary sources in film (Ref. PN1997.85 .G64 1999)
Novels into film : the encyclopedia of movies adapted from books (PN1997.85 .T54 1999)
The encyclopedia of novels into film (Ref. PN1997.85 .T54 1998)