English 2100 Writing About Literature: "Hypocrites, Believers, and the Damned"Instructor: Juliette Paul
- LION Reference includes a selection of literary reference works, including author biographies and works such as the Encyclopedia of the Novel and the Columbia Dictionary of Modern Literary and Cultural Criticism.
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism.
- The Literary Index will refer you to volumes in several reference series, such as:
- Literature and Its Times (Ref. PN50 .L574 1997)
- Contemporary Authors (Ref.Z1224 .C62)
- The Dictionary of Literary Biography (Ref. PN451 .D43)
- The Gale Virtual Reference Library provides specialized online encyclopedias for background information.
- A Dictionary of Biblical Tradition in English Literature (Ref. PR149.B5 D53 1992)
- A Dictionary of Classical Reference in English Poetry (Ref. PR508.C68 S63 1984)
- The MERLIN catalog shows materials in the MU Libraries.
- The MOBIUS catalog shows materials from Missouri academic libraries.
- WorldCat shows materials from many libraries worldwide.
- Keyword searches can be very specific, but a subject search is sometimes more organized:
- Try a keyword search on Voltaire* and Candide
- Now try a subject search on Voltaire and scroll down to the section on Candide
- Some subject headings to try:
- Belief and doubt in literature
- Truthfulness and falsehood in literature
- Deception in literature
- Hypocrisy in literature
- Religion and literature
- NOTE: Library catalogs search only the briefest descriptions of books, not their full text. Try the following resources to search in the text of books. You may not be able to see the entire text online, but you can identify books to then locate in a library.
Finding scholarly articles, news sources, and other current information.
Databases index sources in greater detail than library catalogs do. Each caters to a different audience and covers different information sources.
- LION: Literature Online is the main index for literary scholarship
- Choose Criticism & Reference from the sidebar.
- Choose Criticism to search both the MLA International Bibliography and ABELL, the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature.
- Choose Reference to search a variety of literary encyclopedias and handbooks.
- Choose Web Sites for a select collection of links.
- Academic Search Premier indexes the core journals in all fields and many popular and news sources.
- ATLA Religion Index
- Historical Abstracts covers historical research.
- Philosopher's Index
Click on to locate a copy of the article online, in the library, or through ILL@MU. If this icon does not appear in the database go to Find a Specific Article or Journal on the libraries' gateway page.
To locate older materials, use the following databases and reference tools.
- Through MERLIN, using the advanced search option
- limit by date
- include in your search s: sources
- include in your search s: sources and nth cent* e.g., s: sources and 18th cent* and marriage
- include in your search s: early works and nth cent* e.g., s: early works and 18th cent* and marriage.
MERLIN lists not only printed books, but also links to electronic books, and many items contained in large microfilm collections. Microforms and the equipment needed to view, print, or scan the materials are found in Special Collections. See the guide to the Microform Collection for detailed information on the microfilm sets, including some that are not analyzed in the MERLIN Catalog.
- The English Short Title Catalogue (ESTC) lists works of all sorts published prior to 1800 in English, many of which we have on microfilm. The MERLIN Catalog includes records for the titles held by MU (most titles through 1640) and we can borrow others through ILL@MU.
- The Index to English Literary Periodicals indexes articles published in early English journals and magazines contained in the microfilm set English Literary Periodicals 1681-1914
Note: This Index is a work in progress, so you may also want to use the guide Accessing English Literary Periodicals ( SPEC-R PN5124.P4 A25 1981). See also the Chronological Listing of Periodicals by Decade.
- ECCO: Eighteenth Century Collections Online
- The Google Books project indexes thousands of books and allows viewing of books that are in the public domain, including most books published prior to 1925.
- C19: The Nineteenth Century Index
- LION: Literature Online provides online texts of many English and American literary works with a search mechanism to facilitate text analysis.
From the main LION menu, choose Search Texts to search for words and phrases within a specific work or group of works. The advanced search feature allows you to define a corpus by period, literary movement, author's gender or ethnicity, and other criteria.