Instructor: Angela Rehbein
- Encyclopedia of American Social History REF HN57.E58 1993
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary American Culture REF E169.12 .E49 2001
- The Gale Virtual Reference Library provides online encyclopedias of many subjects.
- CQ Researcher gives a quick overview of topics and suggests additional sources.
Search the MERLIN Library Catalog to find books.
- Select the Keyword search and type in the words describing your topic: identity formation.
- Open a book record and look at the subject headings to discover new terms: identity (psychology), ethnic identity, race identity, gender identity.
- Use AND to make your search more precise: identity and black men.
- Use OR and the truncation symbol * to make your search more flexible: identity and (black* or african american*) and (men or male or masculin*).
To find journal, magazine and newspaper articles, you need to search an index for your topic. For this assignment, try searching these indexes:
Academic Search Premier
A multi-displicinary database covering all subject areas.
Articles and book chapters related to psychology.
Articles, books, and reports in sociology and related disciplines.
Once you have identified the citations for articles you need, you can click on (the MU Libraries' electronic journals lookup service) to check if the journal is available full-text electronically. Just type the name of the journal/magazine/newspaper you want and note the dates available.
If it is not available online, there will be a link to search the title in the MERLIN Library Catalog to see if the library has it in paper format.
Citing Your Work
If you need assistance citing the resources used for your paper, go to our homepage and select "Citing Sources" under the heading "Course Resources."
This SOURCEPACK is a service of Ellis Library