BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES 3650: General EcologyInstructor: John Faaborg
224 Tucker Hall
Find Journal Articles
If you just need one or two articles on a ecological topic try the following general magazine and journal article database:
Academic Search Premier
Index to major journals and magazines in all subject areas. Many articles are full-text. Updated continually. Coverage is 1984 to date. Click on Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals to limit search results to research articles.
For more in-depth research, try searching subject specialized journal article databases. Begin at the MU Libraries' Gateway. Click on Databases and then click on the subject area, Science and Technology Choose the subject areas Biology, Fisheries & Wildlife, or Natural Resources Select one of the databases from the list and follow instructions on how to conduct a search. Every database has a slightly different interface, but all have help pages that contain tips and/or tutorials.
Following is a selected list of subject-related databases that may be of interest:
AGRICOLA is produced by the U.S. National Agricultural Library and provides access to worldwide periodical literature and USDA publications. Subject coverage includes plant and animal sciences, food and nutrition, agriculture, biotechnology, entomology, forestry, and wildlife. Coverage is 1970 to date. Earlier years available in print as the Bibliography of Agriculture: Ellis Library Reference Z 5073 .U572 (1942-1992)
- Biological Abstracts
Biological Abstracts encompasses all disciplines of the life sciences. Coverage includes traditional areas of biology, such as botany, zoology, and microbiology, as well as related fields such as plant and animal science, agriculture, pharmacology, and ecology. Interdisciplinary fields such as biochemistry, biophysics, and biotechnology are also included. Over 6,500 journals worldwide are monitored for inclusion in the database. Links to some full-text. Coverage is 1980 to date. Earlier years are available in print:
Ellis Library Reference QH 301 .B37 (1926 - 1979)
BioOne provides full-text access to over 60 biological science journals published by small societies and noncommercial publishers. Titles include American Midland Naturalist, Bioscience and Biotropica.
Produced by CAB International and provides worldwide coverage of agriculture in a very broad sense. Corresponds to 26 printed indexes including Helminthological Abstracts and Forestry Abstracts. Coverage includes plant and animal sciences, forestry, human health and nutrition, veterinary medicine, agricultural biotechnology economics and engineering, rural sociology, recreation, tourism, and leisure. Nearly all records have English abstracts. Coverage is 1900 to date.
- Fish, Fisheries and Aquatic Biodiversity Worldwide
Fish, Fisheries and Aquatic Biodiversity Worldwide provides citations and some abstracts on all aspects of ichthyology, fisheries, and related aspects of aquaculture. Major topics include culture and propagation, limnology and oceanography, genetics and behavior, natural history, parasites, diseases, habitat management, fish processing/marketing, general research, and fisheries management. The database includes, FISHLIT (1985-date), Fisheries Review (1971-date), Fish Subset of Medline (1966-date), Fishing Industry Research Institute (FIRI) Database, Fish Database (1960-date), Castell's Nutrition References (1970-date), AQUACULTURE
(1970-1984),Fish Health News (1978-1985).
JSTOR is a full-text database providing access to the back files of 117 scholarly journals including six ecology titles: Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, Ecological Applications, Ecological Monographs, Ecology, Journal of Animal Ecology and Journal of Ecology. Coverage begins with volume one of each title and continues to within 4-5 years of the present. Includes graphs, photographs, and images.
Indexes journals, conference proceedings and web sites in the sciences and social sciences. Coverage is 1996 to date though earlier material is being added regularly.
- Water Resources Abstracts
covers a wide range of water resource topics including water resource economics, conservation, control, hydrology, water planning, water cycle (precipitation), snow, groundwater, lakes, erosion), and water quality (pollution, waste treatment). WRA covers predominantly English-language materials and includes monographs, journal articles, reports, patents, and conference proceedings. Coverage is 1968 to date.
- Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide
Wildlife and Ecology Studies Worldwide indexes literature on wild mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. All aspects of wildlife and wildlife management are covered. This resource is comprised of: Wildlife Review Abstracts (1935 and earlier to date), Swiss Wildlife Information Service (1974 to date), Wildlife Database (1960 to date), BIODOC (1970-1989), Waterfowl and Wetlands Database (1838 to date), and theIUCN - World Conservation Union (1946 to date).
- Zoological Record
Zoological Record indexes and abstracts worldwide zoological literature. The database provides references from over 6,500 international journals, review annuals, monographs, meeting proceedings, books, and reports. All major areas of zoology are represented, including: behavior, ecology, evolution, habitat, nutrition, parasitology, reproduction, taxonomy, and zoogeography. (2005 to date)
- Recent Ornithological Literature
Listing of ornithological research articles published in journals. Arranged by year and then broad subject category.
1997-date available online (note: appears to be behind by several years)
1986-1998 (print) QL 671 .R4 (2nd floor, Central, Ellis Library)
- Zoological Record
Oldest continuing record of animal biology includes references for journal articles, books, conference proceedings, and reports.
Reference Z 7991 .Z87, 1870-2004 (1st floor, Central, Ellis Library)
Find the Full-text of Journal Articles:
- If you're looking at results in one of the databases listed above just click on the button next to the article citation. The article will display if it's available electronically. If there is no online access, you'll be given the opportunity to look for a print copy in the MERLIN Catalog
- If you have an article reference, but are not currently in a database, go to the MU Libraries' homepage and select Find a Specific Article/Journal to enter . Once in you're given the choice to search for a specific article or journal title. If electronic coverage is not available, check the MERLIN Catalog to see if we have a print copy of the journal.
- Use our interlibrary loan service called ILL@MU to access articles not owned by MU Libraries. If you find a journal article that you need, but cannot find the article using click on the option Request through Interlibrary Loan/Request a Copy.
- You can also request an article without using the feature by filling out an article request form available from Request Items - ILL@MU under About the Libraries on the MU Libraries homepage.
Usually you will receive the article electronically within a few days of making your request
Find Library Books
- From the MU Libraries' homepage, choose MERLIN. Type in words describing the topic you are researching. Once you have a list of hits, select one that looks on-target, then examine the subject headings for that item. Click on that subject heading to retrieve similar items. Go to the following link for directions for having books sent to you: Requesting books from MERLIN
- If you need more books, click on the MOBIUS button. This expands your search to about 50 additional libraries in our network including Washington University which has an extensive collection of architecture books: Requesting books from MOBIUS.
- To request books not listed in MERLIN or MOBIUS click on Request Items-ILL@MU under About the Libraries on the MU Libraries' homepage. For more information go to the following link: Obtain materials not owed by MU Libraries
- Browse new books
- Directory of Missouri Natural Areas
This Missouri Department of Conservation site gives locations and brief descriptions of Missouri natural areas.
- Missouri Department of Conservation
- Missouri Fish and Wildlife Information System MOFWIS
Database containing information about the habitat, status and distribution of selected Missouri plants as well as vertebrate species and aquatic molluscs. Maintained by the Missouri Department of Conservation.
- Missouri Plants
Photographs and descriptions of the flowering and non-flowering plants in Missouri.