Show all Announcements
Posted October 10, 2012
Jan L Coffman, M Ed
“It is in the digital world that Jan Coffman’s creative gifts and foresight have come together. A comfortable chair, computer software and stylus pen allow the warm, sensitive soul of a painter, steady hand of a sketch-maker and keen eye of a photographer to converge. Starting with photographs, Coffman brings obscured details to light in some and makes the origins of others unrecognizable, imparting a hand-drawn or painted quality; the outcome is innovative and no less inspired than a print made by applying damp brush strokes to physical paper.”
Columbia Tribune, Columbia, Missouri
I love to walk in nature settings. That is where I find my paintings. I call my paintings contemporary realism as I paint my digital photographs with my digital bushes and sketching tools. As I paint, I relive the feelings I had at the time I was taking the picture.
My training has been in technology design and education. As an educator, technology trainer, and web designer, I developed my digital skills of sketching and watercolors in my web design work. In retirement, I am now able to devote more time to my passion of digital painting.
I paint layer upon layer with the ability to remove layers as I am painting with my digital brushes. I may pick-up the color from a photograph or go to my digital pallet for a new color. With an endless number of painting tools, I use my Wacom drawing tablet to make strokes with the pressure and turn of my hand. If I want to experiment with an idea, I can add a layer and delete it if it doesn’t work. When I’m finished with a painting, the layers can then be compressed into one painting.
I do my own printing and framing of my paintings. I print my art using archival pigment-based inks and acid-free watercolor papers. I use quality mats that are pH Neutral and backing boards that are acid free. They are matted and framed 16×20 or 21×27 inches with black frames.
Jan L. Coffman
Master of Education, University of Missouri, 2001
Art Exhibitions and Honors
- First place, Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art Member Show, St. Joseph, MO, 2012.
- Winner of Les Bourgeois Winery Collector’s Series annual Label Art Competition.
- Columbia Art League, second place, Columbia, MO
- Visions Photography Exhibition Bank Purchase Award, Landmark Bank, Columbia, MO
- Mizzou Alumni Association Calendar, Columbia, MO
- Accepted into the Missouri Top 50 Fine Arts Exhibition at the Missouri State Fair
- Exhibited at the Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, Missouri
- Best of Missouri Hands Featured Artist, BOMH web site: http://www.bestofmissourihands.org/FeaturedArtists_Past/featured_jancoffman.htm
- Columbia Tribune Features Article, 2009
- Aarik Danielsen of the Columbia Tribune wrote about Jan’s art a second time, this time on his blog: January 27, 2010, http://www.columbiatribune.com/weblogs/art-axis/2010/jan/27/coffmans-digital-watercolors-continue-to-impress/
- Lenoir Woods Art Exhibition, Columbia, MO
- Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art, St. Joseph, MO
- CAL Community Exhibits Program, Columbia, MO
- Cherry Hill Summerfest & Art Show, Columbia, MO
- Mizzou Night with the Arts, Columbia, MO