The Library Society
The Library Society is an organization of dedicated friends of the MU Libraries who generously support the mission of the University of Missouri-Columbia through their gifts to the MU Libraries. The funds provided by these generous people provide critically needed resources for our students and faculty in attaining their scholarly goals and in creating an environment where students can comfortable study, actively learn, and innovatively purse knowledge. The purpose of the Library Society is to assist the MU Libraries to achieve its fund raising goals by encouraging more substantial private giving to the MU Libraries.
The MU Libraries of today have a firmly established foundation of traditional collections and services, together with a growing complement of new technological resources, all poised to address the information needs of the students and scholars of a new century. The Libraries are indeed a central part of all we call Mizzou.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in the Library Society comes with a number of benefits:
- All members receive invitations to special library and campus events.
- All members receive periodic newsletters and publications prepared for them.
- All Library Society members receive a distinctive Library Society lapel pin, tie, and/or scarf.
Types of Membership
Membership is open to alumni of the University of Missouri-Columbia, other friends, and MU affiliated not-for-profit organizations. Membership eligibility is established through gifts or pledges. Designated gifts are invited for whatever library fund or purpose the donor desires. Donors may also designate their gifts as unrestricted to support the needs of the Libraries that cannot be met with state funds, such as building expansion projects, endowment funds, and community outreach programs.
Six levels of sustaining membership are available to individuals who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Contribute or pledge one of the amounts listed, over no more than a 10-year period. All prior gifts to the University, and company matching gifts count toward membership.
- Member - $25,000
- Fellow - $50,000
- Distinguished Fellow - $100,000
- Very Distinguished Fellow - $250,000
- Diplomat - $500,000
- Ambassador - $1,000,000
- Signify the intent to provide by means of a bequest, life insurance or other type of deferred gift:
- Member - $50,000
- Fellow - $100,000
- Distinguished Fellow - $200,000
- Very Distinguished Fellow - $500,000
- Diplomat - $1,000,000
- Ambassador - $2,000,000
Annual Members contribute annual cash contributions of at least $1,000 during any calendar year. Memberships are renewable on January 1. All annual membership contributions count towards sustaining membership requirements.
If you'd like to join the Library Society online, please go to MU Online Giving.