Ellis Library Display Cases
The Ellis Library Exhibits Committee is responsible for booking exhibits for five display cases in the main colonnade on the first floor of our building, and art displays for the Bookmark Cafe. We welcome displays from the MU community.
VIEW OUR UPCOMING SCHEDULE.
All prospective exhibitors should print off and fill out an Application for Ellis Library Exhibits. The application should be filled out and returned to Kelli Hansen (chair), 401 Ellis Library, UMC. The application will be reviewed by the committee and the prospective exhibitor will be notified of the committee's decision as soon as possible.
On this website, you should find all the information you need in order to put up your exhibit efficiently. If you need assistance during set-up or take-down, please contact any of the committee members:
- Kelli Hansen, Chair (11-13) HansenKB@missouri.edu
- Mary Hainen (11-13) HainenM@missouri.edu
- Charlotte Mustain (10-12) MustainC@missouri.edu
- Ellen Blair (10-12) BlairE@missouri.edu
- Anne Barker, ex-officio BarkerA@missouri.edu
Display case dimensions:
- Built-in unit, 127” wide x 57” tall x 15” deep
- Built-in unit, 85” wide x 57” tall x 15” deep
- Built-in unit, 68” wide x 57” tall x 15” deep
- Freestanding unit, east side: 60” wide x 65” tall x 22” deep
- Freestanding unit, west side: 60” wide x 65” tall x 22” deep
The image at right shows one of our freestanding units. Click the image for alternative views.
Hardware and supplies available:
- We have hanging devices suitable for hanging about 9-15 framed works (click here for more information).
- Glass shelving is available in a variety of lengths, from 3' and up. All sizes might not be available at all times.
- Book stands
- Straight pins
- UV film strips for holding book pages open
What Exhibitors Should Know
- Exhibitors may check out display case keys from the guard at the West Entrance security desk any time that the library is open. Each month there is an "approved list" of individuals who may check out the keys. Make sure the Exhibits Committee Chair has the names of all those who may want to access the cases during set-up and take-down.
- Exhibits run for the calendar month. Set-up may take place anytime during the first week of the month, and should be completely removed before the 1st day of the next month.
- See our various display hanging hardware that you may use.
- If you plan to rearrange glass shelving in the cases, we must help you because the brackets require some pounding in order to be secure. Contact us to set up a time.
- The display backing is cloth-covered wood - it is not cork. Thumbtacks will not stick. Use straight pins instead to hang papers, posters, etc. on the display's cloth backing. Remember that we have some clip devices that go with our Walker Display system. You might prefer them to pins.
- Exhibitors may put literature in cardboard "pockets" which can be taped to the outside of display cases.
- There are no electrical outlets inside display cases.
- Florescent lights inside the cases are left on 24 hours a day, but bulbs are encased inside high-quality UV shields to prevent ultraviolet damage to sensitive materials.
- The full library exhibits policy may be reviewed online.
The left image shows all three of our built-in cases. The right image shows just our largest case (127" wide).