- Students, staff, faculty and courtesy borrowers are charged fines for overdue recalled books at the rate of $2.00 per day per book. You will not be able to borrow anything else from the Libraries until you return the items. Further delay will result in an invoice for the cost of replacement for an additional $175 per item.
- Overdue discretionary loan items are fined at $10.00 per day.
- Overdue RECALLED Interlibrary Loans (ILL) will be fined at $10.00 per day.
- Books borrowed from other MERLIN/MOBIUS Libraries are subject to overdue fines for all borrowers.
- As a courtesy, the library sends one overdue notice approximately five days after the item is due. If not returned, the borrower will be billed a lost book fee, plus any accrued fines. Borrowers who would like to replace a lost book may contact a staff member at the Ellis Library Circulation Desk or their branch library for more information.
- Failure to receive a notice does not exempt a borrower from the responsibility to return books on time, and is not grounds for the cancellation of fines.
- Billed books from any library may result in patron accounts being blocked until the items are returned or reconciled.
- Highlighting, marking, writing in books and other damage may result in replacement cost billing or other fees from MU Libraries and other MERLIN/MOBIUS Libraries.
NOTE: If you are going out of town for more than a few days, the library suggests that you either return your books or make arrangements for your mail to be monitored for Recall Notices in order to avoid high fines.
For questions about fines call (573) 882-4072 or your branch library.